• The Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 9804 trial:
•Which was closed early due to low accrual:
• Investigated outcomes of RT omission in the setting of low-risk DCIS
• Randomizing 636 patients with low-risk disease to either RT or observation after surgery
• In this study, low risk consisted of:
• Low- or intermediate-grade DCIS measuring less than 2.5 cm with resection to negative margins of ≥ 3 mm
• Median tumor size was 5 mm
• While recurrence rates were decreased with RT:
• The recurrence rate was also low in the control group
• With a median follow-up of seven years, RT resulted in:
• A reduced risk of a local recurrence compared with observation:
• 0.9% versus 6.7% (HR 0.11, 95% CI 0.03-0.47)
• A higher rate of mild to moderate (grade 1 or 2) toxicities (76% versus 30%):
• Although the rate of serious toxicities was similar in both arms (4%)
• Of patients treated with RT, grade 1, 2, or 3 late toxicities were seen in 30%, 5%, and 0.7%, respectively
• No difference in either:
• Disease-free survival or
• Overall survival
• Results at longer follow-up:
• Also showed lower local recurrence rates with RT:
• 15-year ipsilateral breast recurrence rates of:
• 7.1% versus 15.1% without versus with RT, respectively (HR 0.36, 95% CI 0.20-0.66)
#Arrangoiz #BreastSurgeon #CancerSurgeon #RTOG9804 #DCIS #OmissionRadiation
Published by Rodrigo Arrangoiz MS, MD, FACS, FSSO
My name is Rodrigo Arrangoiz I am a breast surgeon/ thyroid surgeon / parathyroid surgeon / head and neck surgeon / surgical oncologist that works at Center for Advanced Surgical Oncology in Miami, Florida.
I was trained as a surgeon at Michigan State University from (2005 to 2010) where I was a chief resident in 2010. My surgical oncology and head and neck training was performed at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia from 2010 to 2012. At the same time I underwent a masters in science (Clinical research for health professionals) at the University of Drexel. Through the International Federation of Head and Neck Societies / Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center I performed a two year head and neck surgery and oncology / endocrine fellowship that ended in 2016.
Mi nombre es Rodrigo Arrangoiz, soy cirujano oncólogo / cirujano de tumores de cabeza y cuello / cirujano endocrino que trabaja Center for Advanced Surgical Oncology en Miami, Florida.
Fui entrenado como cirujano en Michigan State University (2005 a 2010 ) donde fui jefe de residentes en 2010. Mi formación en oncología quirúrgica y e n tumores de cabeza y cuello se realizó en el Fox Chase Cancer Center en Filadelfia de 2010 a 2012. Al mismo tiempo, me sometí a una maestría en ciencias (investigación clínica para profesionales de la salud) en la Universidad de Drexel. A través de la Federación Internacional de Sociedades de Cabeza y Cuello / Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center realicé una sub especialidad en cirugía de cabeza y cuello / cirugia endocrina de dos años que terminó en 2016.
View all posts by Rodrigo Arrangoiz MS, MD, FACS, FSSO