- Axillary sentinel node biopsy has been shown to be feasible for axillary staging:
- In patients with in-breast recurrence or ipsilateral breast second primary tumors
- Limited prior axillary sampling (less than nine nodes) has been shown to have greater success in localization
- Preoperative lymphoscintigraphy should be considered:
- Given the possibility of aberrant lymphatic drainage due to alterations secondary to prior surgery and radiation
- Tokmak H, Kaban K, Muslumanoglu M, Demirel M, Aktan S. Management of sentinel node re-mapping in patients who have second or recurrent breast cancer and had previous axillary procedures. World J Surg Oncol. 2014;12:205.
- Kothari MS, Rusby JE, Agusti AA, MacNeill FA. Sentinel lymph node biopsy after previous axillary surgery: a review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012;38(1):8-15.
#Arrangoiz #BreastSurgeon #BreastCancer #CancerSurgeon #SurgicalOncologist #Miami #CASO #CenterforAdvancedSurgicalOncologist