A. BCC is the most common cancer in the United States.
- It is estimated that BCCs occur in 2 million Americans annually:
- This exceeds the incidence of all other cancers combined.
- Due to its prevalence, treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) in the United States costs Medicare more than $400 million per year.
- Furthermore, the incidence of this common malignancy is rising rapidly.
- BCCs are at least 2 times more common than squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs):
- The second most common type of skin cancer.
- Although rarely metastatic, BCC can produce substantial local destruction along with disfigurement and may involve extensive areas of soft tissue, cartilage, and bone.
- Fortunately BCCs generally have a good prognosis due to low rates of metastasis.
#Arrangoiz #CancerSurgeon #HeadandNeckSurgeon #CASO #CenterforAdvancedSurgicalOncology