👉A mastectomy is an operation to remove all of the breast tissue from a breast as a way to treat or prevent cancer.
👉Mastectomy can be a treatment option for many types of cancer:
- Ductal carcinoma in situ or non-invasive breast cancer
- Stage I and II (early stage) breast cancer
- Stage III (locally advanced) breast cancer, after chemotherapy
- Inflammatory breast cancer, after chemotherapy
- Paget’s disease of the breast
- Locally recurring breast cancer
👉Breast-conserving surgery (partial mastectomy/ lumpectomy), in which only the tumor is removed with negative margins, may be another option.
👉Newer mastectomy techniques can preserve the skin of the breast and allow it to have a more natural appearance – Skin sparing mastectomy
👉Newer mastectomy techniques can preserve the nipple areolar complex of the breast allowing it to have a more natural appearance – Nipple sparing mastectomy
👉Surgery to restore the shape of the breast, called breast reconstruction, can be done at the same time as the mastectomy or during a second operation.
#Arrangoiz #BreastSurgeon #BreastCancer #CancerSurgeon