“Passaro’s Triangle or Gastrinoma Triangle”
- Edward Peter Passaro (1930-2017) was an American GI surgeon, who described his eponymous triangle in 1984.
👉Gastrinomas secrete supra-physiologic levels of the hormone gastrin, resulting in a clinical syndrome (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome [ZES]), whereby the hypersecretion of gastric acid results in peptic ulcer disease & diarrhea. Common locations for gastrinomas are in the pancreatic head & duodenum, although extra-anatomic tumors may arise in 5% to 15% of cases.
👉The gastrinoma triangle, defined by the junctions of the
(1) cystic duct and common bile duct
(2) neck & body of the pancreas, and
(3) second & third portions of the duodenum, therefore encompasses the majority of gastrinomas
👉Pancreatic gastrinomas comprise 25% of all gastrinomas, & most (50% to 88%) arise in the duodenum, most often in the first portion of the duodenum. There is a predilection for males with ZES; approximately 20% of cases occur in association with MEN-1, and the remaining 80% are sporadic.
𝗥𝗲𝗳: Mastery of surgery 7th ed.
#Arrangoiz #Surgeon #Teacher #CancerSurgeon